ARTICLE SUMMARY – The student will select a publicly traded company (Cigna) that he/she would like to learn more about. A publicly traded company is a firm whose stock is publicly traded on one of the major stock exchanges. The student should begin searching for academically suitable articles about this company. The articles may be related to any number of business topics as it relates to this firm: Examples are mergers and acquisitions, strategic planning, management, marketing efforts, financial problems, etc. The instructor does not want an article about the companys stock price. If you are not certain that it is an appropriate article, email the source to the instructor. The article should be of sizeable length, so that the student can summarize the article into a one-page, double-spaced summary. Do not include the article with your summary. The instructor will research the article through the electronic library. If your summary is prepared correctly, the title of the article, the author, and the name of the publication will be part of the first sentence of the summary. Follow the directions (below) for writing a summary. You will turn in your article summary via Blackboard which will provide a time stamp.
Researching Articles. There are several ways to find good articles. One very acceptable way is to link to the college databases, through the electronic library, just as we did to make a company choice.
1. go to www.stlcc.edu
2. Click on libraries
3. Click on databases
4. input your information: Your student I.D., followed by st; your last name ( I WILL PROVIDE INFROMATION TO THE WRITER)
5. On the Database page, click on the first database, called EBSCO HOST.
6. On the next page, click the first, 3 boxes, and press enter.
7. On the following search page, type in the name of your company. You may want to type in some dates, in order to limit your search to the past four years. You may also want to click on the full text box.
8. Next, click the search box
9. You should get several articles that refer to your company some will be more suitable than others, due to length and topic. You may also find articles by going to the library and asking the reference librarian for assistance. The Readers Guide to Periodicals is another suitable library source. You may also proceed to the firms website, and determine if it has links to articles or press releases about the firm. Another way to access articles is through search engines. For example, if you go to www.yahoo.com, and click on finance, you are able to input the firms stock symbol, and often find additional articles about the firm. Writing a Summary (adopted from Professor Wil Loy, Ph.D.) Purposes: We write a summary to condense information, to restate the main ideas in another text, and to learn the jargon and ways of thinking in a particular field of study. We then can use the condensed information by integrating it into our own writing, with proper credit (must be cited) to the original. A summary uses fewer words than the original, sometimes as little as 1/4 to 1/3 of the original.
A summary is written in your own words, in the present tense,
Includes only the main points,
Omits details, facts, examples, illustrations, and, usually, direct quotations,
Does not follow the organization of the original, and is objective, without your opinion or point of view about the material. How to:
1. Read the original, maybe twice or more.
2. Ask yourself: What is the main point (thesis)? (in my own words)
3. Reread the source and make notes in the margins.
4. Without looking at the source or your notes, complete the sentence, This person is saying that . . . . This helps you focus on the core thought.
5. Check the source again to see if you remembered what you should.
7. Voila! Formula: The first sentence: Begin with the authors name , title of the selection, and even the magazine where the article appeared. In the Business Week article, IBM, HP Look to Small Businesses, by Jeffrey Burt and Scott Fergusen, the authors discuss how IBM and its rival HP are unveiling new powerful computer products for small businesses. Then give the authors main point or thesis in the selection you are summarizing:Although up until now IBMs product offerings were directed toward mid-cap and large businesses, Big Blues strategy is turning to small business with offerings to help these firms manage their marketing intelligence. Follow by including a brief condensation or the gist of the main ideas of the selection. The authors have provided specific descriptions of the products that IBM is unveiling for the small business market segment, and how these products create value for the small business owner. This is an uphill climb for IBM since they are traditionally perceived as a company that does not meet the challenges of small businessand more.. If I were writing this summary I would probably provide the names of the new products (whatever IBM calls them), some roll-out dates, and any other points of interest that the authors made. All of this should be in your own words.
Each summary is to be typed, spell checked, and reviewed for grammar.
Each summary should be a minimum of one-page. You may go beyond one page, but no more than two pages.
Summaries turned in late for any reason will not be accepted no exceptions!
The summary is to be YOUR work. Copying all or parts of an article from one or more sources is PLAGIARISM. This is illegal and, according to the policy of St. Louis Community College, could be grounds for a failing course grade!!
Your text is not a valid reference! Reading current events about other firms in your industry and other industries is often stated as a key to success for many well-paid business professionals. Key business leaders have acknowledged that students who communicate well through writing and speaking are usually better positioned for promotions within their firms. REQUIRED FORMAT FOR ARTICLE SUMMARY Papers will be graded on readability, conciseness, appropriateness of topic, and level of perceived effort. Points will be taken off for poor grammar and incorrect spelling (I will only read until the 2nd misspelled word)! The professor reserves the right to reject any paper that does not conform to required format and content.No title Name _______________ 1 in. in.1 in. 1 in.1 in.
Your summary will be a (minimum) one-page, double-spaced document.
You will use 12 point font, or less. The font should be: Arial.
Your page will have one-inch margins, at the top, bottom, left, and right.
The document will not include a title because the title information will already appear in the first sentence.
You will not need a works cited page because you havedocumented your source in the first sentence. Do not attempt to copy a condensed version of the article. This must be in your own words.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more