In a well-organized essay, provide a critical response to ONLY ONE of the following statements (Submit your response on Blackboard, Assignments Tab; PLEASE MAKE SURE TO LABEL CLEARLY WHICH STATEMENT YOU ARE RESPONDING TO): EACH STATEMENT EXPRESSES a position from the Catholic Intellectual Tradition. Informed by the texts you have encountered in this class and your understanding of the dialogue between Christianity and Culture, SELECT ONE TO WHICH YOU WILL RESPOND. YOU MAY AGREE, DISAGREE, OR 2 OFFER A POSITION SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN THE STATEMENT AND WHAT MIGHT BE CONSIDERED a contrary view.
Statement I. Truths about ourselves as human beings and the world we live in are intelligible through religious faith alone. An understanding of these truths begins in religious faith and surpasses whatever we can know through human reason.
Statement II. Human persons are created in the image of God, and God created human persons as social beings. It is because God created humans as social beings that we, unlike non-human animals, are capable of sympathy and altruism. Our divinely created purpose, therefore, is to resist egoism and to form social unity and pursue the common good.
Statement III. It is the love of God that arouses the inescapable duty to make ourselves the neighbor of every individual, without exception, whether that neighbor be a foreign worker who suffers the injustice of being despised, a refugee, a starving human being.
Develop your response to one of the above statements using the insights of at least four sources or readings from the list of readings covered in your specific section of Christianity and Culture in Dialogue.
You do not need to know where the statement comes from in the course readings. All you need to do is to provide your critical response to the selected passage by discussing at least four course readings.
In crafting your critical response, please make sure to state clearly your overall argument or thesis in your introduction. In your concluding paragraph(s), please make sure to summarize your argument, identify any possible objections, and provide your response to those objections.
Whatever your response, your task is to persuade the reader of the validity of your position, recognizing that some readers will disagree with you. Support your position by discussing at least four readings you have covered in your particular CORE 2101 section.
• Plato, Crito
• Paul, First Letter to the Corinthians
• Aristotle, selections from Politics
• Martyrdom of Perpetua and Felicitas
• Thomas Aquinas, selections from Summa Contra Gentiles; and Summa Theologica
• Walter Pater, selections from The Renaissance
• Ibn Rushd (Averroes), The Decisive Treatise Concerning Theology and Philosophy
• Genesis 1-4 • Charles Darwin, selections from The Descent of Man
• Galileo, “Letter to the Grand Duchess Cristina”
• Aphra Behn, Oroonoko
• John Paul II, “Truth Cannot Contradict the Truth”
• William James, The Varieties of Religious Experience
• John Locke, Second Treatise on Government
• Jean Jacques Rousseau, Discourse on the Origins of Inequality
• Second Vatican Council, Gaudium et Spes
• Francis, Laudato Si’
• Francis, Fratelli Tutti
• Phillis Wheatley, “On Being Brought from Africa to America”
• Elizabeth Barrett Browning, “The Runaway Slave at Pilgrim’s Point”
• Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, Manifesto of the Communist Party
• Walter Benjamin, “The Work of Art in the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility”
• Max Weber, “Science as a Vocation”
• Max Horkheimer and Theodor Adorno, 1969 preface and “The Culture Industry,” Dialectic of Enlightenment
• Angela Davis, “Progressive Struggles against Insidious Capitalist Individualism,” Freedom is a Constant Struggle: Ferguson, Palestine, and the Foundations of a Movement
• Leo Tolstoy, A Confession
• Benjamin Elijah Mays and Joseph William Nicholson, “The Genius of the Negro Church,” The Negro’s Church
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more