07Sep 2021 by
First Draft of Drama Paper
First draft: 1.5 points (due Saturday, September 11th)
Peer review: 1.5 points (due Monday, September 13th)
The final paper should be 3-5 pages. Aim for 2-3 pages for the first draft. Please double-space and use size 12 font.
Your paper needs to:
Analyze/ discuss Susan Glaspell’s Trifles and/or Henrik Ibsen’s A Doll House on one of the topics offered below.
Quote the primary texts (plays) as evidence for your assertions and points.
* Tips on how to quote in MLA format can be found by clicking “More Resources” on the course homepage.
* The online discussion on the two plays will help you to choose the topic which most interests you.
Topics for Paper One (on Drama)
Choose ONE topic and write a 3-5 page paper:
1. Domestic abuse was not considered a crime when Trifles was written in 1916. How does the play make us sympathize with Mrs. Wright’s plight? You need to give reasons for your opinion and back them up with direct and paraphrased quotes from the text.
2. In A Doll House, why is Nora forced to lie? What do those lies say about about her, her marriage, and the society she lives in? You need to give reasons for your opinion and back them up with direct and paraphrased quotes from the text.
3. Compare and contrast the lives of Mrs. Linde, Nora, and Anne Maria (the nurse). What are the pros and cons of their respective lives? You need to give reasons for your opinion and back them up with direct and paraphrased quotes from the text.
4. Compare the three relationships: Mr. and Mrs. Wright’s, Nora’s and Helmer’s, and Mrs. Linde’s and Krogstad’s. What do they have in common? How are they different? You need to give reasons for your opinion and back them up with direct and paraphrased quotes from the text.
5. Compare Mrs. Wright’s and Nora’s choices. Did each woman make the correct choice given the circumstances and situation of each woman? Why or why or not? You need to give reasons for your opinion and back them up with direct and paraphrased quotes from the text.
How to do well on this paper:
i. Start by brainstorming ideas for the topic.
ii. Come up with a rough outline.
iii Look for quotes to back up/prove your points.
iv. Come up with a thesis that is more than a no-brainer:
Mrs. Wright is guilty/not guilty = no brainer
Mrs. Wright is guilty/ not guilty because _____ = thesis
v. Organize the points in a logical order.
vi. Put the thesis in the intro.
vii. Have a paragraph for each point.
viii. Make sure you acknowledge the opposing argument at some point in your essay.
ix. Write your conclusion reflecting on what you have just argued in you essay.
You should not do any outside research for this paper. If you do use any ideas from other sources, make sure you put that material within quotation marks and cite the author’s last name and page number within parentheses. You also need to cite the source on a works cited page. Otherwise, you will be guilty of plagiarism.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more